Field of Dreams

Saturday, September 19, 2009

1st and 4th grade & LUMBERJACK DAYS!

This week I've attended 1st grade with my nephew and 4th grade with my niece. 1st grade was a challenge for me, as the students are learning to pay attention, follow instructions and what consequences there are when instructions are not followed. In 4th grade I saw the fruits of the 1st grade teacher's labor, as the students raised their hands and waited to be called on before answering the question. During 1st grade, I attended music class, where we identified different instruments in 'WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN', and we marched to it, then 'STARS & STRIPES FOREVER' - a John Philip Souza march... (I know that from all the times I've heard it by the Two Harbors City Band, in MN). I picked the right day to go to 4th grade, as they were celebrating a birthday and we had cupcakes! YUM! I learned about complete subjects and complete predicates. I also learned a little about ID history, like the Western White Pine is the state tree. The Pinon Pine is the NV state tree. I remember that from my first go around in 4th grade!
My oldest niece and nephew spent the night in the rig this week, and we made PUPPY CHOW! (Crispix cereal, stirred into melted butter, peanut butter & chocolate, & all coated with powdered sugar) I made it long ago with my Gram. We ran out of time to make FUDDY NUTTY NOODLE DOODLES. Some people call them haystacks, but FUDDY NUTTY NOODLE DOODLES is more fun to say! We decorated their bikes to ride in the parade the next day with beads from the Las Vegas casinos (I knew there'd be a use for them!) and hung computer discs from the bikes for the added 'FLASH'. My lil' bro' pulled my younger nieces in the wagon, decorated with streamers and we threw candy to the kids along the parade route. I hadn't been in a parade in a long time, and when I was in them, I was in a military marching/unarmed drill team and wasn't allowed to smile, wave, or throw candy, so this was really special. Along with being with my family, the best part was that our name was announced - like the floats are - 'THE BEARDINS'! (my maiden name) It was really wonderful. After the parade, we went to the fair and rode rides and looked at the displays. My niece won 3 blue ribbons for her 4H entry ("MY FIRST TRAIL RIDE"), and my sis in law won a blue ribbon and a white ribbon on her photo entries.


I was ready for rest, but nope! Our toilet stopped flushing -YUCH- so I fixed it yesterday. Y-U-C-H! It works! YEA! Tuesday we hopefully get our windshield fixed, so we can hit the road on Thursday. The r.v. windshield seems to have shifted and you can see daylight between the glass & the rig... it's not good.




Today is the last of Lumberjack Days here in Orofino, ID - last night we went to the horse pull. John was disappointed, as he prefers more 'horsepower', with the smell of methanol and burning rubber. Today is the main log show, which I'm looking forward to. Mostly looking forward to seeing my nieces and nephew again, then go to help my lil' bro' work on the new addition to his house.

No comments: