It was GREAT! Adult admission is $19.95, and there are Senior, Military, and Kids discounts. The price is very fair for all you get! We first saw a 10 minute movie on a 64’ screen in a theatre that seats 278 in very comfortable seats complete with drink holders! (doesn’t take much to impress me, does it?) After the movie we walked the ramp looking at the evolution of race cars from 1947 to the present.
It was great to actually see what different degrees of banking looks like. NASCAR races at tracks with varying degrees of banking, or slopes. Talladega, AL has the steepest slope at 33 degrees of banking.
It provided a great stretch for my calves! When we got to the interactive part of the hall we got our money’s worth.
There were areas to test your skills with the air wrench, removing & replacing lug nuts, lifting the gas cans, lifting the 25 pound tires, and getting to feel how much pressure it takes to lift the car with the jack.
There were areas to test your NASCAR knowledge, take a qualifying lap (I lost traction and hit the wall), and see how you’d do as a NASCAR official. I’m usually not a fan of Kyle Busch, but his sponsor is M&Ms, which I am a fan of, and there was a trunk full of treats, so thank you Kyle Busch.
Sunday we attended church at Derita Presbyterian where we were welcomed and invited back when we’re in the area. John said the preacher there was the “east coast counterpart” to Preacher Doyel, our preacher in Henderson, NV. She was energetic and funny while giving a message easy to relate to. One parishioner from Wisconsin found out John was from Minne’snow’ta, and started talking to him about “lutefisk and lefsa, yah”, and saying that she bet his mom “used to make hotdish fer sure, yah? ubetcha!” It cracks me up to hear that Scandinavian accent, but after spending several summers “up North”, at least I knew what she was talking about!!
After church we went back to the NASCAR Hall of Fame and watched the race from Talledega on the big 64’ screen.
It was a good race and I was glad to hear that “Jr. Nation” is alive and well, as when Dale Earnhardt, Jr. took the lead the theatre roared with enthusiasm! Talledega is where John & I went on April 25 of this year, prepared for tornadoes, and celebrated my ½ birthday! The Hall of Fame theatre was almost as good and a lot cheaper! Included in our $5.00 tickets were simulator rides, in a real car. I thought we’d miss the beginning of the race, so John chose to forfeit and stayed in the theatre. My best lap was 1 minute 14 seconds. I went slower than the day before so I didn’t hit the wall. The track at Talledega is 2.66 miles, so I wasn’t going much faster than freeway driving, which sometimes feels too fast! It was fun, and I was back to the theatre in time for the green flag! I’m sorry I convinced John that it would take too long, and he missed out on the simulator.
I had a mid-term in my marketing class, and I scored 66%. What a blow! I used to be good at taking tests, but apparently I lost that talent. I still have an 87 in the class, which should at least be a 'C', and I have the next 4 weeks to improve that percentage.
Last night, we enjoyed our 1st of 3 nights at the World of Outlaws World Finals. With thermals, a t-shirt, hooded sweatshirt, waterproof jacket, bandana, stocking cap that covers my face, gloves, and poncho liner - I was warm enough (picture is pre-stocking cap). 
John says the next two nights are suppose to be even colder. ACK! Here's some of what we're here for... the video is of a sprint car qualifying for tomorrow night's feature.
1 comment:
John has pointed out to me that the tires at the NASCAR Hall of Fame were 75 pounds!, not 25. Also, it seems my math is not as good as it should be... that, or I drive really fast on the freeway. 2.66 miles in 1:14 is about 130 mph. OOPS! (I follow the posted speed limit when I drive, really!)
Post a Comment