We left Unadilla, GA Friday morning and arrived in Marietta after stopping to visit some friends along the way. We spent most of the afternoon visiting family nearby. Saturday night John and I went to Stone Mountain to watch the laser light show.
John was not impressed with Stone Mountain, comparing it with Mt. Rushmore. “Stone Mountain is 825 feet tall and covers 583 acres. The top of the mountain is 1,683 feet above sea level. The entire carved surface of the Memorial Carving measures three acres, larger than a football field. The carving of the three men towers 400 feet above the ground, measures 90 by 190 feet, and is recessed 42 feet into the mountain” (stonemountainpark.com). As an indirect comparison, “Rushmore's granite faces tower 5,500 feet above sea level. Each president's face measures 60 feet from the chin to the top of the head. The president's noses are 20 feet long, each mouth 18 feet wide and the eyes are 11 feet across” (mountrushmoreinfo.com).
I thought the laser light show was amazing! I had gone about 20 years ago, so I had an idea of what it was going to be like, and it was still great. Among my favorite parts was when Ray Charles sang “Georgia on my mind” and my heart swelled with Georgian pride.
When Elvis sang “Dixieland” the lasers made it appear that Confederate President Jefferson Davis, General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson, and General Robert E. Lee, each mounted on their horses, rode away to fight, then returned defeated and came to rest on the side of the mountain. Again the southern pride in my heart became tears in my eyes. Toward the end of the show, the Star-Spangled Banner was played and John and I stood with our hands over our hearts. We saw no one else show respect for our National Anthem, and my American pride was crushed. According the United States Flag Code “During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there” (usa-flag-site.org)
Sunday morning we met my cousin and her family for church, and heard The Word from the old testament of Haggai. We should consider our ways and set our priorities with God’s. It really hit me that our futures don’t change by accident, there must be intentionality. Our priorities and passions set our future. Pastor Ross stated that if we were passionate about NASCAR, that it would become our future, which was o.k., as long as we didn’t cheer for Jeff Gordon! John and I were ready to shout “AMEN!” to that! Another important point was that if you are “eaten up” about something, you are really into it. You are really consumed by it, and each of us is God’s house, and He is “eaten up” about us! Praise God! Hallelujah! A-MEN!!
I think that is absolutely amazing!
Monday was my 41st birthday and I woke up to good ol’ Georgia rain falling on the roof. John gave me a beautiful necklace and a sweet card.
My aunt sent me a BRAVES t-shirt and John’s daughter gave me a pretty red sweatshirt from Two Harbors, MN, where John is from. Other gifts included socks, hair clips, and a watch. I got money and lots of cards from so many loved ones, and on facebook, I was sent more than 30 birthday messages!!!!! If I ever feel unloved, I only need remember that day. I was sung to by my dad, step-dad, aunt, little bro’, nephew, niece, mom, grandmother, cousins, granddaughter, and daughter (really John’s, but we’re kin)! With some of my birthday money, I bought myself breakfast at the Krystal, and right next door at the Krispy Kreme, the “HOT DONUTS NOW” sign lit up, so I bought a dozen glazed donuts “HOT OFF THE RACK”! Y-Y-U-U-U-M-M!!! I didn’t eat the whole dozen, but I ate a third of them. Lunch was back to the Krystal, but I was so full of donuts I could only eat 3 Krystals (little hamburgers, similar to White Castle, but better)!
Of course I had cake and ice cream at the family birthday party at my grandmothers. I was very surprised that my gall bladder didn’t wake me up screaming that night!
To celebrate my cousin’s 50th birthday, I treated us to a pedicure! We both enjoyed the pampering. My mom joined us and received a manicure, then came to sit with us and enjoy the massage chairs.
To celebrate my cousin’s 50th birthday, I treated us to a pedicure! We both enjoyed the pampering. My mom joined us and received a manicure, then came to sit with us and enjoy the massage chairs.
No comments:
Post a Comment