Our preacher here has been inviting us to bring stones to church to represent our blessings.
When we get enough, we'll build a rock wall monument to show our many blessings. Unlike blessings, rocks are hard to come by in middle Georgia! Recently my friend gave me one from her collection, so Sunday we placed our blessing rock on the alter.
After church we had a wonderful "soup 'r bowl" party! Our first Sunday potluck was focused on soup, salad, sandwiches and dessert. I was disappointed that my favorite pineapple sandwiches were not on the table, but the food that was there was so delicious as always. Like the words on a church sign - "Potlucks & Everlasting Life - Membership has it's benefits!"
As we were enjoying the great food, we were talking with a very interesting gentleman who was from Albert Lea, MN. We learned that he was a professional baseball player for the Pittsburgh Pirates before he joined the U.S. Navy for a career. He owns the dome house across from the church, and invited us to come look at it.
He gave us a wonderful tour and told about many of his experiences in life so far.
Tuesday we left GA and arrived in Paisley, FL where we'll stay for a week while we're attending 5 nights of dirt track racing at Volusia Speedway.
We were very disappointed to learn that our friends are no longer traveling with the World of Outlaws racing series. If we had known they weren't going to be here, we may not have come. We had our first afternoon & evening free, so once we got set up, we went on a recon mission, discovering the best route to the race track and seeing what else the area had to offer. We came across a farmer's market type thing that offered tomatoes and oranges, and also had a variety of pottery and cast aluminum statues for sale. This picture is of a Mariachi Band.
Wednesday's forecast was for sunshine and a high of 72* so we headed for New Smyrna Beach! It was beautiful. As I sat there watching the waves crash I thought of my cousin's recent invite for "a do-nothing night". I replied saying it sounds great, but that I think I'd have to at least bring a craft for something to keep my hands busy. I'd have trouble doing nothing. But, when we got to the beach, I discovered that I could do nothing! I was happy to do nothing except sit and watch the ocean waves.
After sitting there for about 1 1/2 hours while John collected shells for his grandkids, we walked a nearby street - window shopping then went to Breakers to eat lunch. We were told their hamburgers were the best around! Not only were the hamburgers the best, the view was great too.
Sitting there eating and embracing the moment, we watched these birds starting to dive bomb the water. It's so funny to watch them drop out of the sky and splash in the water.
After coming home from the warm but windy beach it was time to add layers and prepare for the races. We both wore thermals, jeans, & boots. John wore a t-shirt, sweatshirt, and his big heavy coat. I had 2 tshirts, 2 sweatshirts, a windbreaker and my coat. No, I was not warm enough. Plus, I had trouble moving since I was bulked up like the Michelin tire man!!
We survived the cold and are up for 4 more nights. (I'm thinking positive...)
At the campground where we're staying, we don't get a phone signal, and though the first day we had internet, now we don't and are currently at the McDonalds 10 miles away. I've been frequenting the local library to keep up with school.
Due to the lack of reliable internet, this blog is getting posted on Thursday.
No comments:
Post a Comment