Field of Dreams

Friday, February 25, 2011

Crossing Over

Last Friday afternoon we left GA and drove the MINI to MN to visit John's mom who had been admitted to the hospital on Thursday. We arrived in Two Harbors on Saturday night and visited with 'Grandma' (what everyone calls her) for a while. We had a good visit Sunday after church. Grandma was very happy that we had come. We met with her attending doctor to see what the options were since Grandma's health was not improving. Grandma was discharged from the hospital and returned to the nursing home. John and I had not been to the nursing home since Grandma moved there early last month. We enjoyed meeting all the staff that we had talked to on the phone. All of them were happy that Grandma had returned and many of them came in to welcome her home from the hospital.
Grandma's body was shutting down and we knew that she would be heaven bound soon. Family and friends were visiting in her room, talking about how she always made delicious brownies and cookies, and how she would carefully package and ship them to John, even when he was stationed overseas. We remembered how beautifully she would wrap Christmas presents, and how one year, with failing eyesight, she wrapped boxes for the family and got so carried away that she unknowingly wrapped up some of her books on tape!
Grandma was surrounded by loved ones as she left. Crossing over, she walked upright, pain free and worry free along the bright golden path, through the glorious sparkling pearl gates of heaven, singing with the angels.
Grandma died on Wednesday, February 23, 2011; five days short of her 97th birthday. She died just after 5:00 pm, her usual supper time. I know that her first meal in heaven was the best she ever ate! Sitting with so many of her loved ones and anxiously awaiting the short time until we are with her again.

2 comments:

Bob Mack said...

My condolences to you, John, & your family.

Fire & Flux said...

My heart breaks for all of you...Aunt Elna love for all of us meant everything to me...

The last time she and I talked, I felt just as special to her now, and as I did then...

I hold all of you in my heart...

Susan Cole