Saturday, since I was comfortable with the amount of school work I had completed, we decided to take a break. Instead of relaxing on the beach, listening to the roar of the waves as I love to do, we went to the racetrack to listen to the roar of the engines! Although I love that too, it proved more relaxing for John than for me.
We have been there before, and that is where, in April 2008 we met NASCAR driver David Ragan who hails from right here in Unadilla! Admission was FREE to watch practicing and qualifying for Speedfest 2012. David Ragan was there, and John’s favorite, Kyle Busch. Other big names participating were Johnny Sauter and Eric Darnell. Upcoming stars that we know from NASCAR were Chase Elliott, Ross Kenseth, and John Hunter Nemechek. David Ragan qualified with a track record setting time of 15.65 seconds.
While we were there, we enjoyed popcorn, soda, and M&M’s for $1. each!! Later, John sent me up to look at all of the David Ragan souvenirs. I talked to the lady at the cotton candy booth and she introduced me to David Ragan’s dad, Ken, who is a former NASCAR driver! I had picked out a David Ragan hooded sweatshirt for $20., when the cotton candy lady told me that if I join the David Ragan fan club for $25., it included a t-shirt, and a bunch of other stuff! Not really needing a hooded sweatshirt, I decided the fan club was the way to go. David Ragan’s fiance’, Jacquelyn, and business manager were running that area, so I met both of them, and talked to Jacquelyn for a while about how John and I travel around in our R.V., and for the past several years, we’ve spent most of our winters in Unadilla, and have really become big David Ragan fans. I told her about the blog and gave her a card, and she said she’d take a look at it! I am easily star struck, and practically leaped back to our seats and excitedly told John about all that had just happened.
We did not go to the race Sunday afternoon, but John followed the live feed on the computer and shared lap by lap details. His favorite won. David Ragan finished 3rd.
Monday we drove to Marietta to spend time with our family there. We made chocolate chip cookies, and ate them as fast as we baked them! We worked on the puzzle too – did you guess what it is? It’s the Statue of Liberty! Do you see it now?
Our friend David (not David Ragan) took us out to the Waffle House (aka ‘ the Awful House’) for lunch this week, which was wonderful, as always. I had my usual cheesy eggs and grits with raisin toast! No matter what time of day it is, if we’re at the Awful House, I have breakfast. John had dessert, and I thought the sign that they stuck in there was really cool.
We enjoy the beauty of where ever we are, and while we both agree that the southwestern U.S. has some gorgeous sunsets, we have taken a liking to the ones here too.
John gets up in time to see some awesome sunrises too!
I completed my introduction to graduate studies course with a grade of 98.55%. Before officially beginning my first graduate class yesterday, I took some time Wednesday night and reviewed some of the writing helps that GCU offers. It reminded me of the refresher courses I get when I attend grade school with my nieces and nephew. I relearned about subject-verb agreement, pronoun-antecedent agreement, verb tense, active and passive voice, fragments, run-on sentences, misplaced and dangling modifiers, semicolons, and commas. It was really tough! Yesterday I started my Spiritual Formation and Mentoring class. Talk about tough! This stack is the assigned reading for the first three weeks!
No comments:
Post a Comment