Field of Dreams

Friday, October 8, 2010

HE SPIT ON ME!!!

Last week I failed to mention that my niece and nephew in southern NV escorted me to the local McDonalds re-opening and we got to see Ronald McDonald! He gave each of the kids a cookie and of course I treated them to Happy Meals. Ronald did some magic tricks and led all of the kids in a game of “Ronald says” (like Simon says).

Last Friday, John & I drove the rig to the Atlanta Marietta RV Park so that I could be in the area when my Lil’ Bro’ came to visit our grandmother. We had a great time together, and although I missed not having his kids around, it was great to spend time with just him. We helped my aunt by trimming her hedges, but the bees weren’t very happy about us disrupting their home and they were quick to protect their space. My brother & I came running out from behind the shrubs waving our hands and making indescribable noises, feeling like we’d been shot. I had never been stung by a bee before and I can’t say that I enjoyed it one bit. It H-U-R-T! We each got 3 bites, so it was nice of the bees to sting us both equally. As we’re dancing around stinging, we recalled our dad’s advice of spitting on mosquito bites, and we thought it might work for bee stings too. I spit on my hand and lil’ bro’ spit on his wrist, then we spit on each other’s neck and ear. It didn’t completely take away the pain, but I guess it helped some. At the end of the day, we were itching instead of stinging, and still pretty miserable. His ear swelled up and was pretty funny to look at head on, as his right ear was red and so much larger than his left. I tried not to look at him head on because I couldn’t help but laugh and though I call him my “little brother”, he’s bigger than me and could take me down without much effort!
Armed with 2 cans of bug spray, we finished the shrubs, ready to take cover at the slightest buzz. We are Georgia Tech fans, but the Yellow jackets need to keep their defense on the field!
We enjoyed swimming in my aunt’s pool and raked leaves and did minor jobs at my grandmother’s like putting pull chains on her ceiling fans so she could reach them with ease. We visited with lots of family in the area and listened to the Braves’ game and the farewell tribute to Bobby Cox, the Braves’ manager who’s retiring at the end of this season. I’m a huge Braves fan & I’m so glad that John & I could be in Georgia during this last season of Bobby Cox’ management. I had hoped to see some former Braves during the end of the season, since so many came for the farewell tribute. John Smoltz, Dale Murphy, Andres Gallaraga and so many more were in town, but I didn’t see them for a minute. Like my lil’ bro’ said, “they must not have known that you were in town.” DARN!
One afternoon, six of us drove to Kennesaw mountain for a picnic & to enjoy some scenic history. It was a beautiful day to enjoy the view of Marietta & Atlanta. We could even see Stone Mountain in the distance. Seeing it up close & enjoying the laser light show is on our list before we leave Georgia this time.
For the food section of the blog, I made a potato frittata one morning for breakfast. It looked so pretty that I took a picture of it. It tasted pretty good too.
Since there are 7 family birthdays in October, we celebrated one night at my aunts.
Of course my lil' bro' & I had to stop at the Krystal to get lunch one day. When we were younger, we’d eat Krystal burgers whenever we came to visit our grandmother. They’re always a good treat & it was fun to get my lil' bro' all to myself for a few minutes. I didn’t realize how much I’d enjoyed our time together until the morning John & I took him to the airport & I was ready to cry as we drove away.
Our last night in the area, John took me to the Marietta Diner, which has been featured on The Food Network. It looks like a regular diner from the outside, but inside it feels like a really fancy restaurant. Our waiter, Ferrell was standing by to care for our every need. As we left, I noticed the cakes on display… John asked if all the cakes all cost the same amount and the cashier said “yes, $60.” GASP!

No comments: