John was making good time back from Michigan and expected to be back in Unadilla about 10pm. About 6pm he called and said he was south of Atlanta and asked what was for supper? His safe return made it a very Happy Easter.
Tuesday was a dessert potluck at the campground! YUM!
Wednesday I concentrated on my schoolwork all day and was thrilled that evening when I realized that the assignments for this week were finished. The 750 - 1000 word essay was nothing new, but my other class (Project Management) requires the use of a computer program that I am not familiar with. Even after watching the tutorial three times, I was not sure how to do what the assignment called for. I still don't know, but I know that my assignment is done and that it looks darn good! Thank you God! He opened my eyes to see what ever it was that I needed to see that guided me to completing this week's assignment. 93 more days!
Thursday John and I stumbled upon the Vietnam Moving Wall and arrived just in time for the opening ceremony! John was pinned with a yellow ribbon as we walked up, since he is a Vietnam Veteran. Among the speakers was a Major General who is the Commander of Robins AFB and a Brigadier General who is now retired, but was captured as a POW and spent 63 months in the 'Hanoi Hilton' (POW camp).
After the speakers gave there remarks, there was a moment of silence and Taps was played. After that, volunteers began reading the names of the 58,267 service men and women listed on the wall that died while serving in Vietnam. Over 270 volunteers will read around the clock the names, rank, branch of service, and date of death for each service member. This will continue until the closing ceremony begins at 7:30 Sunday evening.
We sought and found the name of Donald R. Johnston, a soldier from Columbus, GA that served in Vietnam with John and was killed when he covered an explosive device with his body, saving the others that were in the same bunker. For that he received the Medal of Honor (MoH). We were able to read his citation when we went to the Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning and visited the MoH Memorial Room.
Today I go for my second ever mammogram. I wonder if the same lady will be there to tell me I sound like I'm from Canada, eh? (see http://ontheroadcoles.blogspot.com/2010/04/go-braves.html)
No comments:
Post a Comment