Field of Dreams

Friday, May 27, 2011

Northern Illinois

Being on the farm means there is always work to be done. Last weekend, John & I helped my dad oil the barns sliding door. Our help consisted of sliding the big door back and forth while dad stood on the ladder dripping oil in the holes at the top. The whole process had me laughing so hard I was mostly useless. We'd slide it a little, Dad would drip oil in and say "north", so we'd push it north, then he'd say "south" and we'd run to the other side and push it south. We'd have to run back and forth because the door was so stuck, it took us both to move it. Soon, we could each stand on opposite sides and push or pull. Of course then I got confused as to north and south and I'd be pushing against John, or we'd both be pulling. John didn't see the humor in my confusion. We got the door to move satisfactory to my dad's specifications and I came in to do schoolwork. I soon realized how far behind I was. After a minor stress meltdown, John banned me to my 'office' (bedroom vanity desk) until I was caught up. He put Candy in charge of making sure I did my work. She is a good 'study buddy' and instead of keeping my nose to the grindstone, she ensures that my fingers stay glued to the keys and I get my work done.


I have a great view from my 'office' window, and this week, until the winds came, we had a red bird keeping us company. My aunt says that my grandfather liked red birds, and that this bird is Grampy, checking in on us. 'Hi Grampy!'





I'm glad to say that I got caught up and received a 98% on one of my assignments. I'm still waiting for the other one to be graded. More good news is that I completed my last class with an overall grade of 98.88%. Praise God!
More good news is that we finally captured a video of JAWS talking!





Saturday evening, our "California cousins" came to town. They are on a month long 'vacation', visiting family in IL and MI, as well as attending the INDY 500 this weekend! You bet we'll be watching for them on T.V. Sunday we all went to the Lutheran church in nearby Lindenwood where CA cousin's grandfather was the pastor for 29 years. There were several who remembered him and it was fun to reminisce.

Along with the other mid west states, we've had tornado weather, but God has protected us and we have had no damage. We are grateful for that blessing and we are mindful of those in Alabama who have been devastated by the previous tornadoes and those in Missouri that were so deeply affected by the most recent tornadoes. We pray that they know that God will provide for all of their needs and He will sustain them. Psalms 55:22 tells us to "cast your burden on the Lord, And He shall sustain you", while Philippians 4:1 reminds us to "stand fast in the Lord" (NKJV).





This week, like many others, has consisted mostly of studying. I used my grill again! This time to overcook some hamburgers, but luckily everyone was very hungry so they ate them!
With all the rain, the corn has grown a noticeable amount. It's been too windy to go out and listen to it grow. It has to be a still night to hear it squeak through the stalks.





Yesterday John & I presented my dad with his (early) Father's day gift - a tool chest! Here they are assembling it.










No comments: